There is something so vibrant and strong about The Third Mind’s powers that it feels like the earth came together for them to join forces. They were rehearsal-free when the record button was pushed in the studio, and as the songs unfolded surely there was a bright luminosity in the musicians’ souls as one song after another was captured forever.” — Bill Bentley, Americana Highways
The day is finally here… The Third Mind is available everywhere!
First Edition LP includes bonus 12” with 2 remixes of “East West,” including one by Tchad Blake + a poster. CD has 2 remixes as bonus tracks + poster
“I had a crazy idea and was looking for musicians who perhaps didn’t think it was so insane.” – Dave Alvin
- Dave Alvin, Victor Krummenacher (Camper Van Beethoven, Cracker, Monks of Doom), David Immergluck (Counting Crows, Monks of Doom, John Hiatt), and Michael Jerome (Richard Thompson, Better Than Ezra)
- They approached the recording of these songs in a very free-form manner – no rehearsals, no charts – where they’d just choose a key, hit record and play.
- They chose songs/compositions primarily identified with the 1960s underground scene as a tribute to the open minded music of that period as well as to the fearless musicians like Alice Coltrane, Michael Bloomfield, Fred Neil and Roky Erickson who helped create the sounds of that era.
- The album contains six songs, 5 covers and one original.
- The First Edition CD and LP contain 2 bonus tracks – remixes of East West, one which is by legendary producer Tchad Blake
Bonus 12″ (First Edition)
Always willing to push his musical boundaries, Dave left The Blasters in 1986 and joined the iconic punk band, X, for one album that included his song, Fourth Of July. His other side projects have included albums with groups like The Knitters, The Flesh Eaters, The Pleasure Barons, and The Gun Club as well as writing/producing the songs for the soundtrack of John Waters film Cry Baby and Allison Ander’s Border Radio. Dave’s original songs have also been featured in TV shows like The Sopranos, Girls, Just
Dave released his first solo album, Romeo’s Escape, in 1987 and in years since he has released over a dozen critically acclaimed albums like King Of California, AshGrove, Eleven Eleven and his Grammy award-winning collection of American Folk songs, Public Domain. He’s also been fortunate to record with some of his musical heroes like Little Milton, Tom Waits, Ramblin’ Jack Elliot, Bobby Rush and Sonny Burgess, while songs from his solo career have been recorded by songwriters Dave admires like James McMurtry, Joe Ely, Terry Allen, Marshall Crenshaw, The Texas Tornados and Alejandro Escovedo. In the past few years, Dave reunited with his brother Phil for two blues albums including the Grammy-nominated, Common Ground, as well as recording the album, Downey To Lubbock, with Texas music legend, Jimmie Dale Gilmore.
Dave has been touring practically non-stop from his days with The Blasters through the decades with his various “Guilty” bands (Guilty Men, Guilty Women, Guilty Ones) and is very excited to hit the road with The Third Mind.
More dates to be added soon!