I am back as years before, struggling to know if I missed any albums on this list, and the answer would be a resounding yes. Every year see thousands of releases just in the prog genre alone. It’s virtually impossible to discover and hear every prog release in any given year, so I did my best to showcase the cream of the crop, but then again I must point out these are one man’s points of view and will vary from publication and reviewer abroad. My taste in music is vast so I hope you all feel I have done justice by showcasing these 21 releases. The Un-qualified Critic
1)The Blue Door First full-length release by Candian Progressive jazz folk-rock act, A Gardening Club Project CD & Digital Melodic Revolution Records http://gardeningclubmusicandart.ca
2) The Uncrowned King (Act 1) The third release by US art-rock band, Evership CD & Digital Self-released https://www.evership.com
3) We Are The Truth Sixth studio album by Swedish progressive rock band, Hasse Fröberg & Musical Companion CD, LP & Digital Glassville Records https://www.hfmcband.com
4) Imperial Fifth album by progressive metal supergroup, Soen CD, LP & Digital Silver Lining Music https://soenmusic.com
11) The Absolute Universe Forevermore Fifth studio album by multinational progressive rock supergroup, Transatlantic CD, LP & Digital InsideOut (Europe) Metal Blade/Radiant (US) https://www.transatlanticweb.com
13) Presence Of Life Seventh album by Norwegian progressive folk group, Kerrs Pink CD, LP & Digital Self-released https://kerrspink.com
14) Forsaken Innocence Eight studio by UK-based Progressive Rock band, Drifting Sun CD, LP & Digital Self-released https://driftingsun.co.uk
15) Snakes & Angels The second release by US progessive metal artist, GorMusik Melodic Revolution Records CD & Digital https://gormusik.com
18) Playing House 2nd release by progressive art-rock band, Meer Karisma Records CD, LP & Digital http://meerband.com
19) The Forgotten Earth Debut solo release by Scarlet Hollow prog band bassist, Jeffrey Erik Mack Melodic Revolution Records CD & Digital https://www.jeffreyerikmack.com
16) Copeland King Cosmo & Blew, Gizmodrome Live First, live album and second release by progressive rock supergroup Gizmodrome formed in Italy Ear Music CD, LP & Digital https://www.facebook.com/Gizmodrome
17) A View From The Top Of The World Fifteenth studio release by US prog metal pioneers, Dream Theater Inside Out Music CD, LP & Digital https://dreamtheater.net
20) One to Zero Eleventh studio album German progressive rock band, Sylvan Gentle Art Of Music CD, LP & Digital http://www.sylvan.de/home/
21) Aphelion Eighth studio album by Norwegian progressive/avant-garde metal band, Leprous Inside Out Music CD, LP & Digital https://www.leprous.net
The first edition of the Indian Summer Festival will take place in Poznań at the end of summer, on September 26 to 27. Hosted by Independent Music Market and Agencja Oskar, this is a special event designed with progressive rock fans in mind.
Legends and rising stars of the genre will perform on the stage of the historic Zamek Cultural Center. There has never been such an event in Greater Poland before! Indian summer, or gossip in Polish, has a chance to become a new tradition.
The event is two magical evenings at the Zamek Culture Center in Poznań, which will surely fall in the hearts of progressive rock fans for a long time. The cast of the Festival is a mix of rock legends and stars and prog rock, a wide range of styles, and finally, a great opportunity to fulfill your musical dreams and see your favorite, often truly legendary performers on stage!
The festival will take place on September 26-27, 2020, in the beautiful setting of the nineteenth-century Imperial Castle in Poznań. A total of nine bands will appear on stage. The composition promises to be really impressive!
Saturday, September 26, 2020:
More about the festival and artists, tickets, among other things, on their website: (HERE)
Bad Elephant Music is delighted to announce that Dial, the second album from progressive electronic rock project Shineback, will be released in September, with pre-orders now open at the BEM Bandcamp store.
Five years ago the release of Shineback‘s first album Rise Up Forgotten, Return Destroyed saw the launch of the fledgling Bad Elephant Music. Its ground-breaking style, incorporating elements of rock, pop and EDM in a heady fusion of styles was widely acclaimed on its launch, with one commentator describing it as “possibly the most progressive album ever”.
Unlike its predecessor, Dial has no central story linking the songs, though the theme of communication provides a thread through the album.
“We humans do a marvelous job of failing to communicate with one another, often when it matters most”, says Shineback main man Simon Godfrey. “All the songs on Dial carry that as an underlying theme. Musically, very much like the debut album and last year’s Minotaur EP, the new record seeks to hop the fences between genres, just to enjoy the process of getting dirty while in the hunt for buried sonic treasures”.
Alongside Simon’s regular writing partner (and labelmate) Robert Ramsay, guests returning from Rise Up Forgotten, Return Destroyed include Matt Stevens (The Fierce & The Dead), Dec Burke (Frost*, Darwin’s Radio), Hywel Bennett (Dec Burke Band) and Henry Rogers (Touchstone, Mostly Autumn). New collaborators Tom Slatter, Daniel Zambas (We Are Kin) and Simon’s bandmates in Valdez Joe Cardillo and Tom Hyatt make this album very much a Bad Elephant family affair.
Dial will be released on CD and download on 14th September 2018.
Bad Elephant Music:
The last five years have been a whirlwind of activity for Simon Godfrey, the creative force behind Shineback. Since releasing Rise Up Forgotten, Return Destroyed in 2013, Simon has married, moved from Streatham to Philadelphia, released a solo album, Motherland, under his own name as well as three instalments of the digital Black Bag Archive series, as well as forming the well-respected rock band Valdez, releasing the superb This album in 2017.
Originally emerging from the neo-prog scene of the late Eighties, Simon made the switch from drums to guitar and vocals to become part of Tinyfish, one of the mainstays of the progressive music scene in the South East of England in the early part of the twenty-first century. Simon has become recognized as one of the most distinctive and highly acclaimed songwriters of his generation. His projects cut through genre boundaries, veering wildly from acoustic introspection through power pop rock with Valdez to full-on electronic rock experimentation with Shineback.
Dial is the third part of the Shineback musical journey, following Rise up Forgotten, Return Destroyed and the Minotaur EP. Together with long-time collaborator, lyricist and spoken word artist Robert Ramsay, Simon takes us on a rollercoaster musical journey which is sure to excite and delight all lovers of adventurous rock, pop, and EDM.
When Simon isn’t creating music or playing live with Valdez across the USA he can be found bewildering fellow dogs walkers as he and Dora take their morning constitutionals.
“New World Live” is the first live album of Dave Kerzner (Sound of Contact, Kevin Gilbert). It features his entire debut solo album (New World Standard Edition) performed live seamlessly with the songs played in the same order as on the studio concept album.
The songs were recorded in Miami and Holland (at the famous Boerderij) with two Dave Kerzner Band line ups. The world-class musicians and singers joining Dave Kerzner on stage for this album are: Durga McBroom (Pink Floyd), Lorelei McBroom (Pink Floyd), Fernando Perdomo, Alex Cromarty (Mostly Autumn), Stuart Fletcher (Mantra Vega), Matt Dorsey (Sound of Contact), Randy McStine (The Fringe) and Derek Cintron.
1. Stranded (Part 1-5 Live) 09:49
2. Into The Sun (Live) 08:50
3. The Lie (Live) 04:41
4. Under Control (Live) 06:20
5. Crossing of Fates (Live) 04:09
6. My Old Friend (Live) 05:16
7. Ocean of Stars (Live) 06:31
8. Solitude (Live) 03:05
9. Nothing (Live) 06:11
10. New World (Live) 06:35
11. Redemption (Stranded Part 6-10 Live) 16:01
Dave Kerzner – Vocals, Keyboards, Acoustic Guitar
Fernando Perdomo – Guitar, Backing Vocals
Durga McBroom – Vocals
Lorelei McBroom – Vocals
Randy McStine – Bass, Guitar
Matt Dorsey – Bass, Guitar, Keyboards, Backing Vocals
Stuart Fletcher – Bass
Alex Cromarty – Drums
Derek Cintron – Drums
Produced and Mixed by Dave Kerzner
Assistant Engineer – Andrew Gonzalez
Holland Show recorded multitrack by The Boerderij
A Blu Ray and DVD will also be made available specifically from the Boerderij (Holland) show. Note that the songs on the concert video are not the same as what’s on this live album and this is the only way to hear the entire New World (Standard) album performed live from beginning to end.
The Heather Findlay Band come to Maltby with an all new career spanning set of songs featuring material from Heather’s Mostly days, Odin Dragonfly a la rock, and with a focus on the new Mantra Vega material. There will also be a surprise or two in the form of previously unaired tunes!
Opening the show will be the John Hackett Band, making their second visit to the CRS this year.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.